Friday, October 1, 2010

Schwabing / Basel 1 - 2 Bayern - Oktoberfest - Nuremberg



Tuesday: I walked around Schwabing neighborhood for a few hours. It has one of Munich's Universities, so the population is quite a bit younger compared to the rest of the town. It is also known for being the more bohemian neighborhood of Munich. I had supper in an Indian restaurant. Butter and tandoori chicjen, yum. Afterwards I went to the same sports bar to watch FC Bayern win their opening away game of the Champion's League. They got off to their typical start for the new season: hesitant ball possession and mistimed passes. They were punished early on (18') by a goal from  on a defensive error by Daniel van Buyten, surprise. Schweinsteiger equalised with a penalty before half-time. Coach Luis van Gaal pulled his typical motivational speech during the pause, and a different team came back onto the pitch for the second half. After playing very hard for the winner, Schweinsteiger got a beautiful tap-in goal (88') from a Badstuber free-kick. Bayern now take top of their group. Other good news is that Arjen Robben will be resuming training soon, though van Gaal has stated that he wants him completley fit before he sees any matchtime.

Wednsday: After having walked so much the previous day, I decided to take it easy and go watch "The Town" directed by and starring Ben Affleck. During breakfast I met two guys from Montreal, and in the evening I went to Oktoberfest with them as well as a British guy and a German girl. It was definatley the funnest of my times going, as the dancing had started.

Thursday: I went for a little day-trip to Nuremburg. It's a very lovely city with an amazing view of the place from the castle, but the people remind me of Parisians, which isn't something I found enjoyable. I tried some Feserweiße (not completly fermented white wine, so it's sparkling and slightly sweet) and Zwieblkuchen (a sort of loaf of bread topped with onions and cheese) both of which are typical bavarian specialties for tgis time of year. In the evening I tried Nürnberger sausage, which are quite a bit smaller than what you find in Munich. They also use different spices, which was a welcomed change.

No comments:

Post a Comment