Saturday, September 18, 2010

Köln 0 - Bayern 0



I got woken up by Aussies this morning at about 6:30. I learned later that they must've been heading out to the Theresienwies'n wher Oktoberfest is held, to wait in line. The first barrel gets tapped at noon on the opening day ("O'Zapft is!" or "It's tapped") and the line-up starts at 7:00. The person at the reception recommended not going today, since I will be here a while, as it will be hard to get a table (which is required to be served). He said that no sporting events are broadcast at Oktoberfest, so as the kick-off of the Köln - Bayern match approaches, there might be some spots available, as fans will leave to go watch the game elsewhere.

It was such a lovely and sunny day that I decided to go to Schloß (or Schloss, which means castle) Nymphenburg to have lunch on a park bench. The castle is quite beautiful and the whole area is extremely calming.

When the Bayern match was about to start, I went into the Zentrum (city center) to find a sports bar. While I was on the tram, I saw the key words I was looking for: "sports café" and "Sky" (the satellite broadcaster of the Bundesliga, the german league). I met two English guys, fans of Arsenal (a London football club) and we chatted during half time and most of the second half. Bayern played their typical game: game, collected and lots of ball possesion. They were unsuccesful for the full 90 minutes, and drew at home on the opening day of Oktoberfest, quite a rarity. One of their main problems is that they are still missing last summers star signing: Arjen Robben, due to injury.

I have finally found a pillow, and it's small enough to pack if I end up doing camping later on my trip.

Afterwards, I headed back to camp to eat supper (great goulash), and chatted with a few people.

No comments:

Post a Comment