Monday, September 20, 2010

Prost



My first day of Oktoberfest. I went to the Hacker-Pschorr tent with the three british guys I met at The Tent. Even though we we tried to get there early, we got into the beer tent at about 9:30, which is apparently too late to get a table.

We wandered a bit to see what it was like inside, and eventually a nice waitress told us where to stand so that she could serve us. Lot's of drinking ensued.

They have wonderful food there. I had Schweinshaxen (pork knuckle. As always, lots of greatly cooked meat, some dumplings and sauerkraut. Around mid-day, the Oompa band started and really got the party started.

After about three Maße, I thought I had enough, so I went back to camp to have a nap, as everything is closed on Sundays except restaurants and bars (again because of the fact that most Bavarians are practicing Catholics). After my nap I chatted with an Australian couple and a Norwegian that had been to Afghanistan (military service still being compulsary in Norway). The Norsk and I eventually started the fire, after which I met Lorna, an American who has been WWOOFing (Worldwide Work Opportunities on Organic Farms) for the past three years (since she has dual citizenship, american and italian). She knows a few of the employees from The Tent and mentionned one that could inform me about a day trip at a camp in the south of Bavaria.

No comments:

Post a Comment